Thursday, March 01, 2007

Erasing The Past

I won't go into too many details, but things have not been fun lately. My computer has been running slow for the last couple months or so. I decided that it might be a good idea to back-up my files. I also wanted to fix my DVD player. I decided to take it to a professional -someone who could back up all of my files faster than I could and burn them onto a DVD.

I took my computer to Comp-USA to do the work for me. To make a long story short, they didn't perform the work I asked them to and they seriously botched the back-up and all of my files are gone. Three years worth of photos, a year's worth of journal entries, thousands of songs, all of my political science research... Just gone; vanished. All of it.

I was in shock for the first half hour or so and then I just cried and cried like a baby. I know it's just a bunch of ones and zeros but it represented something tangible. Of all the things I own, my writings and my photos were most valuable. They represent where I have been and the changes I have gone through. I feel like a piece of my life was erased when the files were erased.

I know that there is some file recovery software available and I've had some people tell me that all may not be lost, but it should never have come to this.

They guy who did the work on my computer was not there yesterday so they weren't exactly sure how it all happened. I'm going back today to get some satisfaction out of this. I will pitch a fit if things don't happen for me. It's going to be hard to hold back. I need to remind myself that being angry and shouting isn't going to make me feel better.

Worst of all, I feel so much negativity inside. When I think about it all I get all tense in my chest and my heart starts to pound. I feel like I have been robbed, I feel anger and sadness. I want to go throw rocks at the idiot who did this. I want to go in and swear at everyone in the store. I hate feeling this way. I need to make peace with this situation. Even if I don't get my files back or even receive compensation for the way that I was wronged, I have to get rid of this feeling inside.

8 comments:

John said...

That's rough! I just had a hard drive crash before finals last semester. Luckily, it wasn't the one with all my data on it. If CrapUSA can't fix it for you, let me know. I have some recovery software from my work and it might be worth a try.

Thrasius said...

Dude, that is SO horrible about your computer. I can imagine how devastated I would have been. I hope that everything turns out all right. I'm going to email you.

Gay BYU Student said...

That seriously does suck! I can't imagine what I'd do if I lost all of my files. My life is stored on my computer. I guess this is a good time to remind myself to back it up.

Don't feel bad at all about being mad. That's a perfectly natural and understandable reaction. They wronged you, not the other way around. You have every right to pitch a fit and get your money back and get the guy who did this fired. Those are my 2 cents.

Kengo Biddles said...

My laptop Blue-screen-of-deathed me in January...and died. I've been crippled for months.

I am so, SO sorry. It SUX. Hopefully they can get some of it restored.

Scot said...

Cas, that’s terrible. I can’t imagine how it’d be to actually lose all that.

Last summer mine crashed and it’d been months since a backup. But I was able to recover the lost data using knoppix. It sounds as though you may need the file recovery programs instead, but if the guy merely messed up windows and it won’t boot properly it may help:

http://www.knoppix.org/

Give me a call, if you think it could help and need instructions.

Throwing a fit (And I would make a big deal of it) and getting CompUSA’s recourses in action, though, will get what’s possible done, I’m sure. And a lot is possible; keep hope.

-L- said...

I totally know how something going wrong can bum your entire day and/or week. I hope you are feeling better now. Good luck twisting some arms and getting the data back!

SG said...

Without screaming and ranting, demand to speak to every person's supervisor to go way up the food chain at CompUSA. Don't emotionalize the situation unless it's necessary - stick to the facts. Not only should they be able to do something to restore your data (as per the experts who've commented before me) but they should do something to make up for the anxiety and stress they've caused you. Maybe you'll get a new PC or something. They don't want to have a customer whose photos, school papers, music, etc. were destroyed by them telling that story publicly to the world. They'd rather do everything they can to restore the files and make you a happy camper by making it up to you somehow.

Good luck!

Sir Robert Chiltern said...

A branch of my office does some pretty heavy-duty data recovery. Let me know if you'd like a referral or any help.